Sunday, January 17, 2010

Billy Elliot the movie



My friends raved about Billy Elliot the musical and I have made up my mind that I will watch it someday. Perhaps when it opens here in Chicago. But before watching the musical version, I decided to watch the movie version. This movie came out many years ago but I have not gotten around to watch it till now. And I now understand why my friends love it.

It was a beautiful movie. The key to a good movie is it moves the audience. Be it anger, tears, fear, joy or whatever. And boy was I moved to tears. I could not tell if I was blowing my nose because of the cold or because I was crying.

Billy Elliot is a story about love, hope and following your dreams. It is a story about a kid who was brave enough to pursue his heart's desire despite going against the popular convention. It is a story about a father's love for his son that he is willing to compromise his principle just to give his son a chance for a better future. It is a story about a family coming together for each other when it mattered. It is about friendship between two boys. It is a story about a teacher who saw potential in a kid and went out of her way to develop that potential.

If you have not seen it, go rent it now.

No comments: