Sunday, January 03, 2010

The ungracious couple.

Tom and I went to see "New Moon" at the River East 21 Theatre in downtown Chicago today at 1:50 PM. We were not late but since "New Moon" has been out for a while, the theatre was small. By the time we got there, there were no seats next to each other except the very first 3 rows ungodly close to the the screen. And watching "New Moon" is no fun if we can't giggle and elbow each other when Jacob takes his shirt off. So I asked the interracial couple (Black man and Asian woman) who were seated in the premium row with empty seats on each of their sides if they mind moving one seat right or left to free up two side by side seats for me and Tom. The black man said he actually mind. So I did not ask again. After all they are not obligated to move for us. I understand they like to have a little privacy with nobody besides them and they like to have an empty seat next to them to stow their winter jacket. In the same token that they are not obligated to move for us, they are also not entitled to have empty seats on their sides. And I made sure they know that. So on my idea, I had Tom sit next to the black man and I sat next Asian woman requiring them to vacate the seats of their coats for us. After all that row was the best location in the theater and I wanted to get back at them for their ungracious behavior. Moving one seat to the right or left is not a big deal at all especially if someone asked you nicely. I would have moved. They were just being selfish and ungracious. But I was gratified they did not get what they wanted. I can be ungracious too you know.

No comments: