Thursday, January 07, 2010

Little to be happy about.

I have said it before and will say it again, it sucks to be born around Christmas and New Year. And I am speaking from experience. My birthday will always be an after thought to the "Happy New Year". My birthday will always be second to New Year Celebration. Nobody in my life has ever made my Birthday more important than New Year. After all, who can compete with New Year? My thoughtful family and friends do give me some momentary smile via facebook, text or phone greetings but the bottom line, they have their own New Year to celebrate. So my actual birthday is usually spent alone doing chores in the house. I have in the past made plans to celebrate my birthday but it was never on my actual birthday cause New Year is in the way. And to top it all off, my birthday just makes me older with little to nil chance of being able to celebrate it with friends and family on the actual day.

It is what I have not and can not have that makes me yearn for it more and eventually bitter for not getting it. I wonder if I would be a lot happier if my birthday was some non special day? I wonder if I would be less whinny if nobody else celebrate birthdays? I wonder how it would be for just once to be truly the center of attention cause it is my actual birthday...

3 comments:

Lani said...

Just think about Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't celebrate birthdays at all.

Lani said...

Eleanor Roosevelt said no one can make one feel inferior without your consent. Your birthday is special because you are special. Every birthday is a blessing, because it means you're still alive. Even if it's not the huge celebration you were hoping for.

Jon said...

thanks ta lani.

I still hate my birth date. :-(