Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Facebook friend deleted

Ever since I joined facebook, I have accumulated a total of 122 friends on my list. some are intimate friends and family that I constantly keep in touch with via emails or profile page comments/greetings. But majority of the people on my list are old classmates, acquaintances or relatives I am not close with. And for this majority, I rarely comment on their profile page and vice versa.

One of those acquaintance on my friend's list commented on my profile the other night. I made a post in my profile about being sad to see Ping exit from Project Runway later that evening after watching the evening rerun of the show. This acquaintance was not pleased to read that post about the show's result and said "thanks for ruining it for us who Tivo the show" sarcastically on my profile. He never comments on my profile nor did he respond to my "Happy Thanksgiving" greeting but that night he was compelled to make a negative comment. So to save him any future vexation from any of my post, I removed him from my friend's list. People like that who I am not close with for starters and only finds time to make negative comments do not need to be my cyber friend.

I do understand his point of annoyance. I did ruin the surprise for him. But at what point in time after the show has been aired is it acceptable to make a comment? In the same token if a guy recorded the NFL Superball, are we all suppose to keep quite about the result till he has seen his recorded game? Are people in the street suppose to not show revelry in case this guy happens to see them and finds out which team won? Are the stores supporting the winning team suppose to not display congratulatory signs in case this guy sees it? Nobody is suppose to show their joy by posting online? There will always be somebody out there who has not yet seen the game they recorded and somebody's surprise will somehow be ruined regardless of when the win is posted online or shown in public. If he really cares so much about not knowing who won, he should watch the show live like everybody else.

No comments: