Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Little Ashes



I placed this movie on my netflix queue because it was advertised by gay.com as having a gay angle. And of course it helped a lot that Robert Pattinson starred in it. You know me. I want my men goodlooking and the story gay.

Little Ashes is about the famous spanish painter Salvador Dali (Robert Pattinson) and the famous spanish poet Federico Garcia Lorca (Javier Beltran). It starts off when both of these men were in school, where they met, leading to the time when they were distinguished older artist.

After watching it, I was sort of disappointed a little. The gay angle of the story was lame and untitillating despite some nude swimming scenes. Robert Pattinson looked weird and behaved eccentrically in this movie. I suppose he was portraying Dali true to form but it was not appealing to me. Javier Beltran on the other hand was very akin to the likeness of Lorca. It was also odd to see them portraying as young adults and as middle aged men for they looked the same throughout. On the positive side, many of the sceneries shot were very beautiful and it captured that early to mid 1900 era of Spanish history very well. The picture quality and costumes were superb.

Fairly forgettable movie I say and I give it a 2.5 stars out of 5.

No comments: