Monday, May 04, 2009

"Craigslist killer"


I must confess, I have placed and answered ads from craigslist on a handful of occasions in the past. And this latest arrest of Philip Markoff (aka craigslist killer) is a wake up call for me not to be complacent about answering or putting ads online. Who knows, one of those guys I would meet who look so deceptively innocent and wholesome could be a serial killer or thief at the very least. Case in point, look at Philip Markoff. Who would think such a wholesome handsome white young guy like him could do what he is accused of doing? And the thought that he is exactly the type of guy I would probably go for sends shiver down my spine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Came across your site by accident. I love your sense of humor/sarcasam.

Regarding your post about waiting for the parking space, I read somewhere that someone did a study and it showed that it takes the person 45 seconds longer to leave a space if they KNOW someone is waiting for it.

One of the best pieces of advise I have seen is: don't take a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

I'm going to bookmark your site.

Jon said...

Thanks for the comment. All readers and "non-nasty" comments are welcomed. Comments that disagree with my opinion are also welcomed. That is what freedom is all about.
;-)

Anonymous said...

There's a double-edged sword to that: craigslist (with all of its criminal shenannigans, fraud, hookers, and such) is starting to find itself on a first-name basis with sheriffs and investigators all across america at this point.

Troubling, in and of itself, but the way email info is verified, its a given that the suspect emails the victim or vice versa at SOME point in this process. There's a glaring "paper" (ahem) trail here, and a lot of cooperation back and forth between authorities.

I just did a quick search and found a story about a young man named Jesse Valencia, killed by a cop he met on gay.com.

If you want an eye-opener, google for these exact terms:

( "on manhunt.net" robbed )

... the risk was there all along. it took THIS to get peoples attention. :-/

I was never afraid to meet people or use my real name, or give my # out or whatever. Paranoid people are stupid too.

Just be aware, and be careful.

I prefer to meet guys publicly once or twice to do something else before we get in the sack. I don't use CL for that.

But I *do* use CL to sell electronics and stuff... I even meet those dudes in coffee shops too.

Jon said...

yeah, meeting in public is probably the best way to go with it. it certainly reduces the risk of meeting a psycho.