Friday, May 08, 2009

Mary Poppins


Last night we saw Mary Poppins, the musical at the Cadillac Theatre in Chicago. I must say it totally surprised and entertained me in an good and unexpected way. From the dancing to the singing to the set on stage all exceed my expectations. It was just a very fun way to spend an evening. Magical, colorful and wholesome! Ashley Brown and Gavin Lee were brilliant as Mary Poppins and Bert. Even the kids who played the Banks children were very good. And also the english accent of everybody was very convincing except for Mrs. Banks (Megan Osterhaus) at certain moments. She looses the accent and Pinky and I both detected it. Only a true proficient such as us notice it. hahaha Oh, I need to mention that I had a blast specially with the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious number. And I was totally flabbergasted when Mary Poppins herself flew with her umbrella on top over to the audience. The part where Bert was walking upside down during the "Step in time" number was a sight to behold. Wow...

After the show, Pinky, Tom and I all scurried to the back of the building to do our stage door Chicago style. I have been on a handful of stage door but every time I still get star strucked and frazzled. My hands would be shaking as I took the picture of Pinky with the star of the show. I got to meet a couple of the star. I totally blew my chance to tell Ashley Brown that she was "practically perfect" as Mary Poppins. And Andrew Keenan-Bolger (Robertson Ay) was so adorable.

(pic from theatreinchicago.com)

No comments: