Saturday, May 30, 2009

Tennis and me.

The French Open in ongoing now. And as usual I am glued to the internet looking at the updates on the results. Always anxious about my players. So far only Venus suffered a lost. At least Djokovic is out but that Sharapova is still in so I am hoping she will get eliminated soon.

This made me think why I like tennis. Gay.com once had an article saying that gay folks like tennis more than any other sports. I wonder if there is truth to this. All I can say is I like tennis myself for a variety of reason. Tennis for one is an individual effort from the players except in doubles. As a gay man, I often feel isolated from the heterosexual society. It is not surprising that most gay men in rural setting flock to the urban setting where gay community tends to be significant in number. So it is natural that I could relate better to an individual player than to a team. Another reason is that there is no annoying machismo so common in team sports like football, basketball, hockey and baseball. Even the male fans of those sports are full of machismo. Tennis is also less complicated than team sports. Easier for me to follow. And lastly, there is no traffic associated with tennis in my area. Need I mention I hated the traffic when there is a cubs game. Ugh! Also, some men tennis player are such eye candy. Although I must admit other team sports can have hotties too.

No comments: