Monday, May 18, 2009

I simply don't give a shit.

I consider myself to be a good Physical Therapist. My clinical skills are better than others in my own estimation. For the most part, I really care for the welfare of my patients and do what is within my power to get them better. At the very least do my best to offer some relief to their maladies and pains. But I am also human and I can be bias against certain vexation. And when certain patients annoy the hell out of me, I become a robot therapist. Meaning I just go through the motion of providing them therapy without a care in the world to the person. Their moans and complains enter my right ear and exit my left ear. I respond with a smile and say the appropriate consulatory responses but frankly, I don't give a damn. Do I give them appropriate therapy? The answer is always yes. But is it the best therapy within my power to provide for them? Perhaps yes, perhaps no. I do what is easy and available. I don't go out of my way to provide them the best. Do I exercise my power to give them a break if they arrive late? Bet your bottom dollar I will stick to the letter to the department policy for late arrival. Do I exercise my power to see them early if they arrive early? Absolutely not! They can wait to the last minute until it is their time for therapy. Will I stay overtime to see them when the schedule is full? You kidding me? Of course not. They can wait a week for the next schedule availability for all I care.

This may sound like I am a heartless health care provider. Well yes for some rare occasions. Mostly, I am a sweet caring therapist that garners the adoration of my patients. But if the patient is demanding, stinky, bitchy or a chronic late comer, the uncaring therapist emerges. Physical Therapist are also human.

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

Somehow, I like this article. It shows the person behind the job title. Most of us tend to forget that the people we encounter are, first and foremost, humans. This is a good reminder.