Friday, November 27, 2009

Best Thanksgiving ever?

I did not grow up celebrating Thanksgiving. It holds no special meaning and memories for me. I just like the day off associated with it. And since I do not have my immediate family here, previous Thanksgiving has always been with friends. Often times some friend will bestow compassion and pity on family-less me and invite me to his/her Thanksgiving. And having nothing to do on that day off beside going to dinner later in the day has always been a bore. This year, K-Mart and Walmart were open for Thanksgiving. So two of my other family-less friends joined me and went shopping at Walmart. 129 dollars later and a few good laughs, this Thanksgiving proved itself to be one of the better ones since I came here 15 plus years ago. I wish more establishments were open so there is more to do for folks who does not really have family to spend the whole day with.

2 comments:

Lani said...

I've come to like Thanksgiving. It's not as controversial as the other holidays, and it's great to have one just to eat, be with friends and family.

And Jon, we your friends ARE your family here :D

Jon said...

true true ta lani.