Sunday, November 22, 2009

I do not want to be a racist.

We are all human and subject to have negative prejudices and stereotype on a certain group of people based on their sex, age, race, religion, sexual orientation or any criteria. Our upbringing, experience, ignorance and/or exposure to certain media influence how we look at certain group of people. Heck I even have a few negative prejudices and stereotype on my own people (filipino, chinese, gay men). But what makes me different from a racist KKK, jihadist or homophobe is I do not allow these negative stereotype and prejudices overwhelm my personality. I strive to keep an open mind about the different people I encounter. I let each person's words and actions speak for who and what they are. I have the intelligence and maturity to realize that these prejudices and stereotypes does not apply to all the people I meet of that group.

That is why when it comes to my negative stereotype and prejudice on african americans, I am always very glad to encounter someone of that group prove my prejudices and stereotype wrong. And I strive not to be a racist against black people. And that has led me to have a black friend Francine who is a good person from what I know of her. My efforts not to be a racist has led me to be a devoted fan of Serena and Venus Williams who are both great athletes. It has led me to truly admire Oprah and Barrack Obama. It may not be a smooth road to breaking down my frailty to have negative prejudices about african americans but I know I am in the right direction.

No comments: