Monday, March 03, 2008

In the face of adversity...

I make it a habit to see my doctor yearly for general check up and blood work including test for all the STD. Unless I remain celibate, I feel I need to get checked for STD even if I practice safe sex. Safe sex is not 100% full proof after all. All my results were negative so I was glad. I had no reason to fear but still it was good to know for sure. It made me think... What if for some freakish reason, I was HIV positive? What if I was the unlucky one whose condom broke or who caught HIV from oral sex or kissing? These odds are infinitesimal but not zero. What if???? This led me to think of my friend who is HIV positive. He/she was able to transform this adversity into a somewhat positive thing despite of it all. Since then, he/she is now a more enlightened person and more focused with what is important in the world. He/she made some radical changes in his/her life and pursued his/her passion. Had he/she remained HIV negative, would he/she have done these changes in his/her life? I don't know... I like to believe that this adversity is the catalyst for soul searching. I still would have liked my friend to be HIV negative but since that is not a reality, I am happy for what my friend has done. I just hope that if I am to face some form of adversity in my life, I would be able to transform it into a positive thing and be a better person from it all.

No comments: