Thursday, March 20, 2008

Holy Week: the most boring week or not?

As a child growing up in Bacolod city Philippines, I remember Holy Week as either the most boring week or somewhat the opposite. It is during Holy Week that almost everything closes starting Holy Wednesday to Easter Sunday. That includes movie houses, stores, grocery, government and TV stations. Perhaps the only open establishments are the Hospitals, resorts/beaches and utilities. Usually during that week, people either go on vacation or for the devout catholic, they stay at home and go to church. On those instance that my dad will bring us somewhere for a vacation, I don't mind it. But on those year that we stay at home, I was bored out of my wits. Think what a preteen boy in the late 70's would do when there is no TV to watch, no computer/video games to play with, no Betamax tapes to watch and nowhere to go. We were not even allowed to play outside because it was considered dangerous specially on Good Friday/Black Saturday when Jesus is dead and unable to protect you from the mischiefs of the devil. We were coop inside the house on those Philippine summer days with nothing to do. Sometimes, we would get a treat if mom would bring us to the town plaza to watch the reenactment of Christ's crucifixion which I remembered being called the "Taltal" in my island. It would even be a better treat if we get to see the self flagellation some filipinos would do to atone for their sins by reenacting the sacrifice of Christ.
Now as an adult here in Chicago, Holy week is just any other week for me. I go to work on that week and go out drinking/dancing on that weekend. I always get a reminder of my childhood when my mother would tell me to stay home on Good Friday and Black Saturday.

Have a good Holy Week everybody...

No comments: