Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl

Tom, Ta Pinky and I went to see The Other Boleyn Girl. I have always been a fan of the stories of the English Monarch so I anticipated a good entertainment. The movie did not fail me. This adaptation of the book by Philippa Gregory is a good movie. The acting was good. The casting was good. I specially like the casting of Eric Bana as King Henry. Have not seen such a handsome King Henry in the all the other movies about that monarch. Kristin Scott Thomas was very becoming as Lady Elizabeth Boleyn. She exert that air of nobility in her. I was distracted by the mole on Queen Katherine's (Ana Torrent) lips, I must confess. Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman as the Boleyn sisters were OK in my book. I would have preferred an english actor with real english accent.
We are all familiar with the fact that Anne Boleyn was behead by King Henry for treason with a charge of incest with her brother George. In this story, they presented that no actual incest occurred although the intent for it was there. I am not sure if historically, incest did occur. In those days, the King got rid of anybody by charging them treason. Anything can be treason if it did not pleases him. It is quite obvious that Anne's failure to produce a male heir was her undoing. Also in this story, they portrayed Mary Boleyn as a virtuous girl merely forced into the the circumstances by her family. Interesting point of view. We can never be sure what really happened. That is why this movie is a historical FICTION. Go watch it. Be entertained and learn something as well.

(pic from yahoo movie page)

No comments: