Saturday, February 21, 2009

cougay

Cougar is the pop culture term used to refer to an older woman who dates younger men. It is the derogatory term the Vancouver Canucks (hockey team) in the 80s first coined their older groupies. Demi Moore, Cameron Diaz, Cher and Mary Kay Latourneau come to mind when thinking of cougar ladies.
The SNL skit coined the word cougay to refer to an older gay man chasing younger gay men. It is hilarious I tell you.

Another reason why I posted this blog about cougay (aka chicken hawk) is to beg the question "Am I a cougay?" I had an LTR bf who was 16 years my junior once. And I have been known to be attracted to younger guys specially now that I am older. Does this make me a cougay? I think that to be a cougay, an older gay man has to exclusively want younger guys only. He is only interested in sex or relationship with young guys. And I don't think I am like that. My first LTR bf was 4 years my senior and the other guys that I had short term relationship were my age group. Besides some young guys, I am also attracted to guys my age group. So I am not a cougay but definitely have cougay tendencies.

No comments: