Friday, February 20, 2009

Not as helpless

The other day as I was driving south on Ashland Avenue on my way to work, this green jeep cut in front of me and was literally just 1 foot away from hitting my car. And I noticed that he was cutting dangerously in front of other cars weaving back and forth from the left to the right lane. Definitely reckless driving that deserves a ticket. But there was no cop around to issue one. What are the options of a civilian like me in this instance? I felt so helpless and angry. Oh how I wished that he run his jeep in front of a pole. Just enough to give him a whiplash injury and several thousands of repair cost.

Alas, don't despair my readers. We are not as helpless as we thought in these situations. We can actually get his license plate number and description of his vehicle. Then call 911 to have a squad car intercept and give him a ticket. The only caveat is that whoever reported this offense will have to go to court to stand as witness. And it does even guarantee that the ticket will not be dismissed if he contest your word against his. And even if the ticket gets dismissed, there is still some good to come out of us reporting it. Cause if this guy is a habitual reckless driver, there bound to be some other person reporting him again in the future. And if record shows that he has been accused of this before, the likelihood of his second ticket being dismissed is less. Another option that we have is to take a video using the camera phone as evidence of the reckless driving. Bless technology.

So let us all unite and rid of our roads of reckless drivers by reporting them.

No comments: