Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dry skin stories

I have two stories relating to my true experience with dry skin. The first one happened when I first arrived here in the spring of 1993. I am from the Philippines so dry skin is so foreign to me. The humidity there is so high that we have an issue with our face being too oily. We hardly moisturize and we even shower twice a day and still no such thing as dry skin. A week or so after my arrival, I began to experience this prickly itch on my skin (specially the torso) while in bed ready to sleep. So initially I thought it was some allergy or that I was not clean enough. But I showered before bed so how can I still be dirty? Are the sheets dirty? I was most bewildered. After talking to some people at work about it, I came to the conclusion that it must be dry skin. So after religiously moisturizing my body after showering, the itch was gone. Even to these days, every spring, winter and autumn, I moisturize after my shower. I even moisturize in between showers during winter time.

The second story has to do with the soap I used. I have been, for the past several years, been consistently using Dove bar soap with moisturizing cream. I thought it would help moisturize my skin while I clean but deep down, I never really bought in to this idea 100%. Lately, I run out of Dove and I was too lazy to dig in the closet for the supply I have. So I thought I will just use this Motel soap I got from my last trip that is laying conveniently in the drawer. One week of using this generic motel soap, I began to feel the prickly itching sensation again. And I moisturized the same way as I did so I wondered for a bit. Then it dawned on me that I was not using Dove anymore. So Dove does really help moisturize my skin. Talk about a lame epiphany eh?

No comments: