Monday, February 11, 2008

Observations from China

I was recently in china for a holiday and I have some observations I would like to share. It can be good or bad and I list them in no particular order.
1. The great wall and other ancient points of interest are inundated by tourist, mostly asians but I see some caucasians also. Hardly any black folks. I would like to add that these ancient points of interest are awesome. I was animated to an equal pitch by the praises of people who have been there before.
2. The conditions of their public toilets are not really up to par with american standards. And some of these toilets are on tourist attractions. They need to be maintained better for the olympics or they will hear a lot of criticisms.
3. The flight attendants are mostly young pretty females. This is true in most asian airlines I have flown with. I guess the "older" one who were removed from the post don't sue unlike here in America.
4. They do not serve free water in restaurants. You have to pay for bottled water but tea is free.
5. You can hear and see a lot of spitting in public. I guess their standard of what is acceptable public behaviour is different.
6. Prices of "stuff" are relatively cheaper for those with US dollars, Euro or Pounds as they are stronger currencies compared to the chinese RMB. It is about 7.3 RMB to a dollar.
7. Most people don't know the concept of lining up in bathroom or other situations. It's rather rude for american standards. This is true in the Philippines too. I forgot how it was.
8. You see a few people wearing surgical mask in public. It is rather odd. Is the level of protection from its use really that significant??? I personally doubt it.
9. Chinese younger ladies like to wear boots. And not the ugly snow or rain boots but the fashionable ones with 4 inches heels and pointy toes.
10. Chinese Muslims do exist... I saw them. It was a sight I did not expect from china.
11. All the 4 and 5 star hotels we stayed in have toothbrush and toothpaste available on top of the usual shampoo and soap.
12. I saw very little PDA (public display of affection) from the chinese.
13. A lot of the english signs and posted regulations have a lot of grammatical and spelling errors. Not so much in Shanghai. It's funny reading them.
14. English is NOT at all widely spoken or understood. And these are people who work in the hospitality industry too. Even our supposedly english speaking tour guide have trouble understanding us in english, let alone a hotel front desk person. Shanghai is somewhat an exception cause it is a very modern city and is more infiltrated by western businesses.
15. A lot of men smoke and barely any women did. And smoking is still allowed indoors in a lot of establishment (hotels, restaurants, etc).

No comments: